Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Practice AP Test


Personally, I thought that this practice test was a struggle for me. I did notice that I scored better on the questions where I could really narrow down the answers. It helps me to read every option and cross out the ones I know could not be an option at all, and then come to one option, or decide between two. I also pay attention to figurative language. I feel that it stands out to me. Whenever I read a sentence including some sort of figurative language, I seem to focus in on it, and I can pick out what form of figurative language was used. I also feel like I can pull apart the text well before I even go to the questions. I think it really helps me to underline key words, phrases, or things that stand out to me like repetition, similes, diction or any other key words that could be helpful in answering the questions.


I know I need to work on my pacing. I tend to take too long on pulling a part the text, that when I come to answer the questions, I feel rushed. I also notice that my thoughts wander sometimes when I am reading the selected text. Sometimes I see a familiar word, or a phrase or word that reminds me of something, and my mind goes to that specific thing, instead of staying on topic, and focused on the test. I also need to read the questions more carefully. Sometimes I don't full read the question, and so that whole thing seems confusing, when really the answer was clear.



I hope to spend more time with myself to try and focus my attention more on the reading. I want to learn how to focus more on the text in front of me, and not get distracted easily when I see a familiar phrase or word. I also want to pace myself. I want to be able to spend enough time analyzing the test, but also enough time to break down the questions so I don't feel rushed. I need to read the questions more carefully, and pay attention to key words like "not" and "except". I also need to spend more time improving my over all confidence. I tend to second guess myself, when really the first answer that I circled was the right answer.


I know to improve myself for the test, I need to spend time getting to know myself better as a reader. I need to spend more time reading, and analyzing literature, even if it's just for a little bit of time each day. I also want to work on improving my vocabulary. I could do this by just learning a few new words each day, and even making flashcards so that I can really expand my vocabulary and the text won't seem so daunting. My third goal is to pace myself. I can read each day, and see how long it takes me to read a passage and annotate it as in depth as possible, and then try to decrease the time spent on the text each day, so that I can quickly jump to the questions. Each day I want to do at least five to ten questions from AP practice tests, just so that I can become more familiar with how the tests are set up and how the questions are worded. It's important that I feel as prepared as possible come test time.






No comments:

Post a Comment